Under the State of New Jersey and Local Municipalities tenancy laws and ordinances must be followed. Tenants and landlords of residential properties have specific rights and responsibilities. The Housing Authority of the City of Perth Amboy offers Rental Counseling & general information on how to be informed about your rights as a tenant or as a landlord.
The Rental counseling program is a comprehensive, preventative and proactive case management and service coordination approach to prevent homelessness. The goal of all counseling sessions is not only to direct and connect the client to desired programs, but also to provide the necessary education so that participants are aware of the benefit of these programs to their long-term housing goals. The counselor will do an assessment with the client to identify any barriers to sustaining/obtaining affordable housing.
The Authority seeks to stop homelessness before it starts by targeting low and moderate income families within Middlesex County at risk of losing their housing by creating programs and innovative solutions to help them maintain their current housing. When we encounter a participant whose primary need is to focus on budgeting, credit repair and or other financial issues, the information will be discussed with the client thoroughly in order to ensure their understanding and to implement an action plan. Ongoing counseling and support is provided until the case reaches a resolution.
How can we help you?
- Act as a liaison between tenant, landlord, organizations, and agencies
- Conduct needs assessment interview and develop client action plans
- Interpret and advise client regarding landlord tenant rental agreements
- Respond to phone calls requesting information/direction regarding landlord/tenant conflicts
- Provide case management services for clients with complex problems; and mediates, advocates, educates, refers and monitors cases as needed
- Conduct presentations and training classes
- Evaluate client financial needs
- Provide referrals to human service resources as follows: Food, transportation, utility assistance, job readiness programs; rental assistance information and others. The housing counselor assists with finding secured housing and affordable housing.
What Other Areas we Cover?
Housing Discrimination/Fair Housing
This service educates households on fair housing laws, advises them on how to recognize discriminatory acts, and assists those who feel that they have been victims of discrimination. The counselor would support and facilitate all phases of the complaint. New Jersey law makes it illegal to discriminate in the rental of housing on the basis of source of income which includes rental assistance.
Did you know, it is illegal to:
- Refuse to rent or sell a property
- Refuse to negotiate
- Set different term or conditions
- Provide different housing services
- Falsely deny that housing is available
Because of a person's:
- Race or color
- National origin
- Familial status (presence of children under the age of eighteen)
- Source of Income (Including Section 8)
- Marital status
- Sexual Orientation
How the Housing Authority of the City of Perth Amboy can help you?
- Verifying complaints
- Advocating when appropriate
- Preparing cases
- Filing with the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights (DCR), or private attorneys
Contact Eugenia Hill firstname.lastname@example.org (732) 826-3110 ext.631 for more information.